Viscogel platform technology summary:
- Based on a new unique pharmaceutical ingredient - Viscosan™
- Excellent pre-clinical and clinical safety
- Controlled release and high drug load for hydrophilic and lipophilic substances possible
- Can stabilize and protect sensitive molecules
- Muco-adhesive properties
- Administration through different routes (eg. ocular, injection, topical, oral) possible
- Robust GMP-compliant processes for regulatory uncomplicated technologies
- Excipient Master Files for EU and US available
- Biodegradable and non-toxic
- Solid IP and know-how
Viscosan™ - a novel pharmaceutical ingredient
Viscogel AB has developed a unique, highly controlled manufacturing process enabling the production of Viscosan™, which is a medical grade chitosan. Viscosan™ has a highly controlled degree of deacetylation (DD) than standard chitosans, and does not precipitate when injected into the body. It is devoid of endotoxins (<20EU/g), and is non-toxic and biodegradable.
ViscoGel™ is a patented viscoelastic hydrogel containing 1% Viscosan™ and 99% water. After the gel is formed it can be mechanically processed to particles of predetermined size. When the gel is exposed to a neutral pH or alkaline conditions it retains its physical form – as a clear transparent gel – instead of forming a white precipitation as occurs with standard chitosan. This gives ViscoGel™ significantly enhanced biological and physical properties. The particles can be loaded with drugs or biologics and used as a controlled release delivery vehicle.
Viscomulsion™ is a patented technology based on a ViscoGel™ containing oil. Viscomulsion™ can be used for controlled delivery of hydrophilic and lipophilic compounds and biomolecules in e.g. medicine and cosmetics.
Viscogel AB - Gunnar Asplunds Allé 32, Hus D, 171 63 Solna, Sweden